Monday, February 16, 2009

From a Parent's Perspective

As a Special Education teacher for 26 years, and a charter member of The Arc of Katy for nearly 20 years, I have had the pleasure and blessing of knowing many families of adloescents and adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. Through all the years, many of these folks have become like "family" to me. One such family is the family of Megan Scholfield, a former student of mine, and someone I am honored and blessed to call my friend. Megan participates in The Arc of Katy's Adult Activity Day Camp and is also employed by Fazoli's one day a week.

Megan's mother, Jane Dooley, shares her testimonial about The Arc of Katy below:

I have had the distinct pleasure of watching The Arc of Katy grow from a small group of parents to a true community of family, friends and professionals all with the common interest for individuals who are mentally challenged. The growth of The Arc has fortunately coincided with the needs of my daughter which has been a tremendous benefit to her personal growth and to the reduction of my stress level. As a parent, I realized a long time ago that raising my daughter could not be done by her father and me alone--we needed help. The ARC of Katy has provided that help with a variety of programs and by introducing us to others who have had the same issues or who know someone who knows someone who can help.
Having a child with special needs is like being in a fraternity you didn't elect to join. I am very happy and proud to be a part of the fraternity/community that is The Arc of Katy.
-- Jane Dooley, mother of Megan Scholfield.

Have a great week,
Amy Campbell

P.S. Do not forget about the Mardi Gras Gala benefitting The Arc of Katy this coming Friday night February 20th at The Club at Falcon Point in Katy. Doors open at 7:00pm. All reservations must be received by noon Tuesday, February 17th. For reservations, please contact Cheryl Crozier at 713-448-0852 or
cherylfcrozier@gmail.com .

No comments: